Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Whatever your holiday persuasion, I hope it has been a merry one. I hope that you have spent your time surrounded by friends and family, basking in peace, joy, fellowship, and lots of yummy food. I spent the last few days making a mad dash to clean the house, wrap presents for E & L, and help prepare food for Christmas lunch with family.

During that time, I gave little pause to the crafts I intended to make for everyone. I'm disappointed in myself. I didn't even get half of them done. Okay, so I didn't even get 1/4 of them done this year. I'm sure glad I painted the North Pole ornaments several months ago. I have a dozen half finished sock monkeys waiting for their arms, ears, tails, and faces. My pigs are all cut up and waiting to be put together. The ornaments are only missing the hangers. *sigh*

I have a Christmas party on the 29th so now that the mad rush is over, I can get those ornaments finished up.  The pigs are just not happening this year. My hands are hurting just thinking about them. The monkeys will get done over the next couple weeks. The girls loved their Christmas presents. They especially enjoyed the computer, even with the crap ton of limitations and rules I put in place. Yay for parental controls!

My brother's Christmas has not been quite so happy. His mother-in-law passed away in the early morning hours on Christmas Eve after a near 8 year battle with cancer. She was an amazingly strong woman to have fought as long as she did. My sister-in-law is not in a good place right now, but she has my brother, her brother, and her father as an incredible support group. I think knowing her mom isn't hurting anymore will comfort her once she is able to deal with the grief. What is hurting them the most right now is that the baby is due in 2 months and the kid will not get to know his maternal grandmother. E & L took the news better than I expected. The visitation is Friday.

So the dishes have been washed, the left-overs put away, and the house put back in order. We are leaving the decorations up until after New Year's Eve like usual. The girls are in bed. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the little bit of money I got from various relatives on more craft stuff, on the holiday clearance for little gifts next year, or on a camera. I have tons of craft stuff but I have staples that I run out of often and the girls are constantly raiding my hope chest for their own devices. The clearance gifts from last year pretty much saved Christmas this year since my parents had little money for gifts this year (Most of the gifts we did buy this year were either put on layaway for several months, came from a thrift store, or were purchased in January 2012.). My camera went missing over the summer and I didn't get one for Christmas (Mom forgot I wanted a replacement and got me a coat instead, although the coat was more a need than a want.). Decisions...

At any rate, I hope your holiday is restful and peaceful. I'm already eager to get the kids back in school and myself back to work. Have a fantastic rest of the week!

Love is love, no matter the back story. <3 DS

No comments: