Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I Am. A Personal Essay

I posted this on my personal Facebook about 2 hours ago and it is already being shared, borrowed and stolen many times over so I figured I should claim ownership of it. This essay is the result of a soapbox rant after being called a liberal free loading degenerate by a "friend" who then defriended me. Damn the luck. I'll miss his asinine comments about... nothing?

I am educated, opinionated, and caffeinated. I am pro-choice, pro-arts in schools, anti-religion in politics, and anti-corporate greed. I believe in the power of unions, friendship, and faith. I also believe in parents being parents, children being children, and schools and government keeping their noses out of everyone else's business.

I am optimistic, pessimistic, and altruistic... just never at the same time. I take the Declaration of Independence literally. That it was or wasn't meant to be taken so is irrelevant. I learned to say please and thank you, yes sir and yes ma'am. I can say those words to elders, peers, and children alike without being a smartass.

I support my troops, medical research, and charities. I do not support hatemongering, ignorance, or the status quo. I have been in favor of gay rights since before I knew what gay meant. No, I'm not gay. Would it matter so much if I was?

I am in favor of gun control and I am a gun owner. Yes, I want to be able to protect myself. No, I don't want the certified maniac next door to have a gun. I understand that I sit in a grey area on many, many topics. I am not a liberal. I am not a conservative.

I am a realist and patriot. My realistic side says that times suck right now in America. My patriotic side says that Americans need to have some pride and quit letting this crap slide. We need to put on our big kid panties and start doing something to change it instead of sitting back complaining while waiting for someone else to fix it.

The rest of the world looks at America and laughs. We are a joke to them. If that doesn't piss you off, then I don't know what to say to you.

I understand that my opinions straddle the fence sometimes and that drives people crazy. Keep this in mind: Sometimes, my opinions are so left-leaning that it endangers my career path and family relationships. Sometimes they are so right-leaning that my friends question how we are even friends. And then sometimes, I straddle the fence. But at least I have an opinion. Do you? Or, did you let others make up your mind for you?

I admit when I am wrong and hate it. I do my research to make sure I'm usually right. I like to play devil's advocate. I get that there are rarely only two sides to a story. However, I get that stories become distorted with each retelling. Play the children's "Telephone" game if you don't believe me.

I am me. What you see is what you get. Don't like that? Please, ignore me then. Continue to bury your head in the sand. I am educated. I refuse to be a sheep. I am opinionated. Read the above if you don't believe me. I am caffeinated. Yes, this is one of those TL;DR posts from more coffee that a single person should ingest. I am me. Don't like me? Then reevaluate why you associate with me.


©Dee Sutter October 4, 2011

Love is love, no matter the back story. <3 DS

No comments: