Thursday, June 09, 2011

Currently reading...

I am a huge fan of juvenile and young adult fantasy. I've been a Harry Potter fan for ten years. I read The Chronicles of Narnia at least ten times since I picked it up as a child. The Abhorsen Trilogy is the first and only series I have bought in a box set. Twilight and Eragon were great (even though I hate the movies for all of them). Nancy Drew is my first love. I am a perpetual child when it comes to literature that I want to read over and over again. That isn't to say that I do not read adult fiction/fantasy. Anne Rice's Beauty Trilogy is well worn on my bookshelf. I am a fan of Sookie Stackhouse, Anita Blake, and Mercedes Thompson too.

Right now, I'm reading the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. There are five books in the series and I am currently on book 2. Normally, I read this kind of book really fast. Due to scrambling to finish my own novel and family commitments, I have not been able to sit and read as I would like. Anyways, about Fablehaven.

This series has everything I love in fantasy. Fairies, trolls, satyrs, dark evil creatures, magic, dragons, betrayal, curses, and more. It follows the exploits of two children, brother and sister Seth and Kendra Sorenson, in a nature preserve for mystical creatures. The premise is great. The characters are believable. The pacing keeps me rushing forward. In short, I am in love with Fablehaven. I wish I lived there. Grandpa Sorenson should adopt me.

I am not very good at "bashing" a novel. If I finish a book, its because I have enjoyed it. Even if there are little things about the writing that irritate me, I can overlook it when the story is good. If I don't like something, chances are, I know it within the first 30 pages and will just stop reading. If the story cannot compel me to continue reading, even an editorial masterpiece will not help. This series is great. I cannot pick out anything that has bothered me so far. I'll update this if I find something between now and the end of the series.

If you are looking for a good, fun read, check this one out. It works for all ages, in my honest opinion.

No comments: