Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thursday Thrift: Intro

Thursday Thrift is for us cheap bastards that love to find a good deal. Discount stores, consignment shops, yard sales, clearance racks... so much fun!
I will admit when I was younger, I thought that I was "better" than the people that frequented thrift sales. I rolled my eyes every time my mom pulled over at a yard sale (although I did look for books at every single one). I cried when I found out my homecoming dress was second-hand. I was a bit of a brat about it. When I moved out on my own, I learned very quickly that second-hand is better than sitting on the floor because I couldn't afford the beautiful $3,000 sofa and $1,750 leather recliner that I wanted. I gratefully accepted the mix-matched plates, bowls, and cups my mom gave me. I was elated when I found a table and chairs for twenty bucks at a yard sale.
So what do you need to know about thrift shopping? You know the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure" right? That definitely applies to thrift shopping. You can find some of the coolest stuff at thrift stores and yard sales.
·         Shop around the entire place before you start picking things out. Keep an open mind when looking at everything.
·         Think creatively as you browse (ever seen a claw foot tub sitting as the center piece of a garden?).
·         Be nice to the staff because they can help you find diamonds in the rough.
·         Subscribe to the newsletters of your local thrift store for discount days and coupons.
·         Donate your own "trash" to your local thrift store so that it can become a "treasure" for someone else. Have a yard sale and make some extra money.
·         Get over your fear of haggling when it comes to yard sales. The tag price isn't usually the bottom dollar.
·         Have fun looking around!
If you don't live under a rock, you know that we are living in tough economic times. Tough times call for tougher measures. Buckling down on your budget doesn't mean you have to go without. If you have found a stellar item while thrift shopping, email me the story (and a picture if you can) and I'll feature it in a Thursday Thrift!

No comments: