Saturday, July 09, 2011

Saturday Soliciations: One For the Money

After reading Janet Evanovich's How I Write, I decided to give her novels a try. I picked up One For The Money, the first of the incredibly popular Stephanie Plum mystery series. I was highly skeptical about reading this book, as it was fairly short, featured a female heroine in a male dominant genre, and it isn't fantasy. Boy was I surprised.

At 290 pages, this book is full of fast paced, heart stopping action from the second you open the book. Stephanie Plum is a likable underdog that is just trying to make it in Jersey. She is a character that is immediately likeable. The situations she manages to get herself in are wacky and out there, but not at all unrealistic. The language and sexual descriptions are pretty colorful, so this is definitely not for kids. I would say not for teenagers either, but that's the momma bear in me that wants to allow children to retain innocence way beyond reality.

I was pleasantly surprised with the novel. I don't know that I will pick up another in the series, but if I do, there are plenty. I think the 17th novel just came out and is sitting pretty snuggly at the top of the New York Time's Best Seller's list. There is no denying that these are very popular books, and after reading the first one, I can see why. Maybe I'll keep reading them as I get time.

No comments: