Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wednesday Wiki: Objects In the Mirror...

Today's random Wiki made me laugh. I didn't realize that phrases were a part of Wikipedia, but it shouldn't have surprised me I guess. "Objects in [the] mirror are closer than they appear" is today's page.

This phrase is a safety warning placed on side mirrors in the US, Canada, and Australia. The shape of the mirror gives a good field of vision while driving, but it also makes objects seem to be further away than they really are. Notice of this phrase is posted to remind drivers of the problem. The phrase has been lifted for music albums, novels, cartoons, and songs over the years.

I didn't realize it was the shape of the mirror that caused the distortion of distance/size in my car mirror. I'm not sure what I thought made it like that, but it certainly didn't jump at me that the mirror curvature would cause it. Maybe I should have paid more attention in science classes after all.


Love is love, no matter the back story. <3 DS

No comments: