Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Homemade Holidays Part 2

I literally spent all day working on the last three sets of ornaments and a couple angels. I started out with wanting to make a set of Alice in Wonderland inspired ornaments. I finished those and made a run to the craft store for more white paint when I decided to give a Wizard of Oz set a try. While doing the Oz set, I decided a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory set was needed as well.

I'm sure others will come to me over the next few days but I promised my family I would let them have the dinning room table for a few days. What other sets can you think of for me to give a try? Keep in mind, it would have to be something that I have read/watched AND enjoyed.

Check the pictures below for the three sets I finished today plus a couple angels.





 I had to switch gears for a while today and decided to try these angels. The doll hair is incredibly annoying when hot gluing. I have several burns now. The craft calls for cotton boll burrs for the body and wings. I couldn't find any so I used wooden clothes pins and index cards for the body and wings instead. They still look adorable!

So these are my Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ornaments. I thought about making one of a couple of the other children but if I did that, I'd end up with twenty ornaments just for this set. I decided to stick with an oompa loompa, Charlie, and Willy. Willy doesn't look crazy but I went with the Gene Wilder version of Willy instead of the Johnny Depp version. My oompa loompa's arms are really long so I think those will have to be trimmed.

I had to split my Wizard of Oz set into 2 pictures. There are 6 ornaments. The Wicked Witch of the West, Glinda, and Dorothy are pictured here. I'm really happy with these! As a note, I went with the 1939 movie version of the Oz characters. In the books, Dorothy's shoes are silver and the Wicked Witch has only one eye. Erg, no thanks.

Here is Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion. I thought it was an adorable idea to have Lion holding his tail. I'm not incredibly happy with Tin Man but I can't figure out what he needs. In all, I'm really happy with these guys.

 Alright, the set that started today's frenzy of activity. We have Red Queen, Alice, White Rabbit, Cheshire Cat, and Hatter. The Queen has her scepter. Alice has her drink, cake, and key. Rabbit has his watch. Cheshire cat is grinning. Hatter has a cup and tea pot. The whole set is adorable.


So, this is what I have so far. What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? I already know who the sets are going to, and have picked out the ones for Mom, Dad, my brother, sister-in-law, and E & L. Gran is getting one of the angels. I have friends that will be getting kitties, snowmen, and Santas. Hopefully, everyone will get how special these ornaments are to me and see how much time I put into each and every single one. Now I just have to figure out how to wrap/package these things. They are delicate and the exposed hot glue on the back can stick to other stuff and mess up the paint. Ones that are together in groups will have to be packaged with wax paper I think. Or maybe the glue will stop being tacky after a few days of hanging. Anyone know?

Love is love, no matter the back story. <3 DS

2 comments:

Arts in the Family said...

Boy, you're on a roll! How about a Winni the Pooh set?

Alberto Ramirez Jr.

Dee said...

Oooh that is a great idea! I'm adding it to my list. I'm brainstorming and editing while I've been removed from my crafting table... er... the dinning room table. I suppose they need a place to eat. lol