Friday, December 09, 2011

Thursday Thought: Altruism

I had an interview this morning, slept all afternoon, watched holiday movies with the family tonight and then fell asleep until just a little bit ago when I realized I had not written Thursday's daily. Sorry about that. Here we go... and it is a few minutes before midnight. ;)

Altruism is [selfless concern for the well-being of others]. Everyone is capable of altruism, but it is rarely practiced. As the holidays grow nearer, I think more and more about altruism and society. How often do you stop to look at the donation trees in the grocery store from local children? Or drop money into the donation kettles? How often do you model altruistic behaviors so that your own children learn of the gift of unselfishness?

My family decided on Thanksgiving to forgo a Christmas dinner this year. Instead, we will be serving food at a local soup kitchen that serves food to anyone that needs a meal. After we finish serving, I believe we are all going to hit up a buffet or make a dinner of cold cuts and veggies with dip. I'm very glad that they came to that decision. It is something I have been begging them to do for a long time.

These quotes hit home for me since I am now living full time with my 8 & 9 year old sisters.

Ask your children two questions this Christmas. First: "What do you want to give to others for Christmas?" Second: "What do you want for Christmas?" The first fosters generosity of heart and an outward focus. The second can breed selfishness if not tempered with the first. ~Author Unknown

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

Love is love, no matter the back story. <3 DS

No comments: