Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Treat: Hot Buttered Rum

Alright, I will admit that I enjoy a drink or two on occasion. To my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong), I have not blogged while intoxicated. However, I thought I would share an interesting blog post full of incredibly yummy alcoholic holiday drinks. Check the full post here. The one I thought sounded the most interesting was the hot buttered rum, even though I dislike rum. Captain Jack, you can keep that shit. Yuck. But anyways, this recipe was neat nonetheless.

Ingredients:
1 pound light brown sugar
1/2 pound unsalted butter (softened)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Lots o' Rum

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the butter, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and spices (so all of the above minus the rum) until well blended. Refrigerate once prepared.

Serve:
Heat a coffee mug in hot water and dry it quickly. Drop 2 heaping tablespoons of the batter in the cup with 1 1/2 ounces of rum. Fill the cup with boiling water. Stir well to mix the ingredients and then serve with a spoon.

Ideas:

  • A mixer should work with this I would think.
  • Refrigerate in an airtight container. The batter lasts up to a month if stored properly.
  • It can also be frozen and then thawed out when needed.
  • A better flavor comes from allowing the spices to mingle in the batter so prepare this ahead of time. Give it 6 hours to breathe once removed from the refrigerator for optimal taste and consistency.
I love the idea of individual servings of a special drink that can be prepared in advance and stored until needed. A friend of mine makes mead for her parties and always ends up with a huge pot of it left over- taking up half of her refrigerator afterward! This would work so much better, especially for parties where you are unsure how many people actually want to give it a try.

If you check the post (link above), there are all kinds of recipes listed. Holiday Glogg, Mocha Nog Punch, Gingerbread Apple Cocktail, and Raspberry Chocolate Cheesecake Martini are just a few others you will find. This post was a year old two days ago so show the author some love while you are there!

Love is love, no matter the back story! <3 DS

No comments: